Dr. G. Padmaja
Dr G. Padmaja
Associate Professor & Head
Centre for Health Psychology
School of Medical Sciences
Deputy Dean, Student Welfare
University of Hyderabad
Qualifications: M.A, M.Phil, Ph.D in Psychology from Osmania University and UGC NET
Areas of Interest: Health Psychology, Counseling, Psycho-oncology, Geriatric Health, Health of Women
- 1995-2007: Osmania University as Part time / Full time Academic Consultant
- 2007 onwards: Centre for Health Psychology, University of Hyderabad
- UGC CEC lessons http://cec.nic.in/E-Content/Pages/default.aspx
- e-learning material for EMMRC – EFLU(Audio-Visual lessons)
Subject: Psychology (B.A)
Paper – 06: Abnormal Psychology
Paper08: Educational psychology
- EMMRC – EFLU(Audio-Visual lessons) MOOCS Health Psychology
- e-learning material for EMMRC – Osmania University(Audio-Visual lessons August 2016) for Bachelors in Social work; Course title: Understanding Human Development
- Course contribution and presentation of e-learning material for Common Wealth Education and Media for Central Asia (CEMCA) MOOC kit course on Life Skills for Engineers on the topic Leadership in Level 1 and Level 2 (Floated in 2019, 2020, starting again in 2021 March)
- Principal Investigator for re-coursing of the subject Abnormal Psychology (MOOC), under SWAYAM, EFLU,2019 (Floated in 2020, starting again in 2021)
6. Swayam courses for BA Psychology MOOCs Programme Osmania University
Social Psychology (Semester III) Presented
Introduction to Psychology (Semester I) Ongoing (under preparation)
7. CEMCA – BRAOU MOOC course on Stress Management: Lesson titled Sources of Stress – Ongoing (under preparation)
8. IGNOU Course titled MS 21: Social Processes and Behavioural Issues on SWAYAM platform on the units Unit 17 – 1. Employee Empowerment, 2. Unit 18- Organisational Citizenship Behaviour, 3. Unit 21- Positive approaches to work behaviour.
- As co – Investigator completed two Research projects titled ‘Effect of Neuro feedback as therapeutic intervention for students with problems in attention and concentration’ (funded by ICSSR)
- ‘Prevalence of depression in patients reporting for cardiac, gastro-intestinal, pulmonary and skin problems: Implications for Health Policy’ (UPE II, UoH)
- Co-investigator for a Project sanctioned under IoE, UoH titled “ Mandated work from home (WFH) – A sectoral study of the issues and implications for individuals and organizations in India” UoH-IoE-RC3-21-042 dated 13.12.2021.
- Co- investigator in ongoing project sanctioned under ICSSR IMPRESS Scheme on “Women , Aging and Health – A framework for Action and Policy Formulations”
- Principal Investigator for a Project sanctioned under IoE, UoH titled “ Health care needs and Practices in Indian men and women with Reproductive system cancer”
- Co-investigator for a Project sanctioned under IoE, UoH titled “ Multidimensional support for the aging population with assistive technologies”
- Co-investigator for a project sanctioned under NCW “The Role and Work Contributions of Migrant Woman Sanitary Workers during COVID-19 Pandemic: A Study in Selected Urban local bodies of Bengaluru and Hyderabad, India”.
- Stress, Coping and Quality of Life in Patients with Cancer
- Effect of cancer patients’ activity level and psychosocial factors on caregivers’ quality of life
- Impact of Psychosocial Intervention on the Body Image, Distress, and Quality of Life of Breast Cancer Patients
- Information needs, caregiver burden, distress and quality of life among caregivers of children with cancer
- Professional Quality of Life, Perceived Stress and Job Satisfaction in Oncology Health care Professionals
Initiated: 1(2019 admission)
Freshly joined candiadates:2 (2020 admissions)
Co-Editor for ‘Trauma & Pain: Biopsychosocial Perspectives’, Global Vision Publishing House, New Delhi, 2010. ISBN: 978-81-8220-353-2.
- Gadiraju, P., Singh, P., Vanlalhruaii, C., & Dehury, R. K. (2022). Challenges and issues in the treatment of reproductive cancer in India: A behavioral science perspective. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research : JCDR, 16(1), IC01–IC07.Online : ISSN – 0973-709X , Print : 2249-782X. Web of Science, Thomsonreuters
- Gadiraju, P., Thomas, S., Vanlalhruaii, C. (2022). Psychological States, Self-esteem, Leisure Motivation and Quality of Life among Institutionalized and Non-institutionalized Older Adults, Indian Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 68–80 ISSN: 0971–4189, UGC No. – List B, Science–121
- Padmaja, G., Mohanty, A., & Vanlalhruaii, C. (2021). Quality of Life in the Elderly: Role of Functional Autonomy and Psychological States, Indian Journal of GerontologyUGC Care (Reg.No: R.N.17985/69: ISSN 0971-4189); UGC approved N0. 20786
- Singh S, Gadiraju P. (2020). Prevalence and correlates of body dissatisfaction and disordered eating patterns in Indian youth: The role of media. Indian J Psychiatry; 62:509-16.
- Hariharan, M., Gadiraju, P.,& Rana, S. (2019). Neurofeedback as an effective intervention for academic performance in children with problems in attention and concentration. In Misra, G. (Eds.), Psycho-social Interventions for Health and Wellbeing, Springer
- Kopparty, S., Tiamongla, Vanlalhruaii, C., Hariharan, M., Gadiraju, P., & Rao, C. R. (2018). Children’s understanding of Cancer: Developmental trend in their conceptual complexity. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development;9(10): 23-28
- Vanlalhruaii, C., Gadiraju, P., Kopparty, S., Tiamongla. (2018). Quality of Life of elderly patients as predictor of their caregivers’ Quality of Life. Indian Journal of Gerontology; 32 (3)
- Padmaja, G.,Chhakchhuak, V., & Rana, S.(2018).Cancer Specific Interpersonal Relationship Scale (CANSIRS): Construction and Preliminary Validation. Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology; 44: 296-306
- Barre, P.V., Padmaja, G., Rana, S., Tiamongla. (2018). Stress and quality of life in cancer patients: Medical and psychological intervention. Indian Journal of Psychological medicine;40:232-8
- Srinivasan, A., & Padmaja, G. (2017). Body Image Concern As Predictor Of Psychological Problems In Cancer Patients. Journal of Cancer Research & Therapeutics, 13.
- Sushma, B., Padmaja, G., & Agarwal, S. (2016). Well Being, Psychosocial Problems and Social Interaction Anxiety in Children. The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 3(4), No. 56, 2016, July. DIP: 18.01.060/20160304. ISSN (electronic): 2348-5396, ISSN (Print): 2349-3428.
- Padmaja, G., Vanalalhuaii, C., Rana, S., Tiamongla, & Kopparty, S. (2016). Quality of life of patients with cancer: A determinant of the quality of life of their family caregivers. Journal of Cancer Education,32(3), 655-661. doi: 10.1007/s13187-016-1000-y. ISSN: 0885-8195 (print version); 1543-0154 (electronic version).
- Padmaja, G., Tiamongla, Rana, S., Vanlalhruaii, C., & Mohapatra, S. (2015). Do differences in place of living and gender affect self-efficacy and quality of life of university students? Indian Journal of Health & Wellbeing, 6(10), 953-957. ISSN: 2229-5356.
- Vijay Prasad, B., Padmaja, G., Saxena, R, K., & Rana S. (2015). Impact of medical intervention on stress and quality of life of patients with cancer. Indian journal of palliative care, 21(2), 203-208. doi: 4103/0973-1075.156503ISSN 0973-1075. (Corresponding author)
- Padmaja, G., Vanalalhuaii, C., Rana, S., Nandinee, D., & Hariharan, M. (2014). Care givers’ depression, anxiety, distress and somatisation as predictors of identical symptoms in cancer patients. Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics. 2016 Jan-Mar;12(1):53-7. doi: 10.4103/0973-1482.146088. ISSN: Print -0973-1482, Online – 1998-4138.
- Padmaja, G., Sushma, B., & Agarwal, S. (2014). Psychosocial problems and well being in institutionalized and non institutionalized children. IOSR Journal Of Humanities And Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), 19(10), 59-64. ISSN: 2279-0837 (electronic version), ISSN: 2279-0845 (print version). doi: 10.9790/0837-191025964.
- Sushma, B., Padmaja, G., & Agarwal, S. (2014). Internalizing Problems, Externalizing Problems and Depression among Children under Institutional Care. Journal of Psycho social Research, 9(1), 45-54. ISSN 0973-5410 (print version), 0976-3937 (online version).
- Hariharan, M., Padmaja, G., & Rana, S. (2014). Biopsychosocial Approach to Health Care: Towards Optimizing the Outcome. R. C. Sobti, J. Mohan, M. Sehgal, S. Sobti, & S. K. Sharma (Eds.), Biopsychological impacts in the era of science and technology (pp 205-219). Delhi, Narendra Publishing House. ISBN: 978-93-82471-82-0.
- Padmaja, G., Sushma, B., & Vanalalhuaii, C. (2014). Enhancing the Life Skills in Patients with Cancer and other Chronic Illness. Humanities and Social Science Studies, 3(1), e-27. doi: 4081/hpr.2013.e27. ISSN: 2319-829X.
- Padhy, M., Padmaja, G., & Rana, S. (2014). Role of psychologists in enhancing life- skill-based health education. In M. Bhargava & R. Agarwal (Eds.), Life Skills Education (pp. 128-137). Agra: HP Bhargava House. ISBN: 978-93-83398-10-2
- Prasad, V.B., Padmaja, G., Rana, S., (2013). Stress, coping and quality of life in patients with Non small cell lung cancer. Indian Journal of Behavioral Research and Therapy, 1(1). ISSN: 23197978
- Swathi, P., Padmaja, G., (2013). Relation between subjective well-being and coping methods in employed women and housewives. Psychology of women-Emerging research and strategies, (Seminar proceedings, Dept. of Psychology, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli, Tamilnadu), pp 1-15. ISBN: 978-81-787404-3-0
- Padmaja, G., & Swathi, P. (2012). Perceptions of University level cricketers towards the role of Sport Psychologists- A proposal for the need of a coach-counselor. Osmania Journal of Physical Education, 6,120-128. ISSN 0974-7109
- Prasad, V. B., &Padmaja, G. (2012). Research in quality of life and coping strategies among cancer patients- A review. In M. V. R. Raju, Marg Chapo, S. Karunanidhi, P. Ramalingam & N D S Naga Seema (Eds.). Quality of life and globalization: Effective self care interventions, vol. (1), pp 245-255. ISBN: 978-81-909923-4-3.
- Prasad, V. B., &Padmaja, G. (2012). Self efficacy in patients with cancer : An Indian scenario. International journal of social science tomorrow, 1(3). ISSN: 2277-6168
- Padmaja, G., Swathi, P., Sushma, B. (2012). Motivation and Personal Effectiveness in Teachers. Indian Journal of Psychology and Mental Health, 6(1). ISSN: 0973-728.
- Prasad, V.B., &Padmaja, G. (2011). Social Support and coping strategies in patients with cancer. Indian Journal of Health and Wellbeing, 2(4), 732-735.
- Sushma, B., &Padmaja, G. (2011). Psychology in India. In Psychology Teaching Review- The Internationalism of Psychology. British Psychological Society Publication, United Kingdom, 17(2). ISSN 0965-948X
- Padhy, M., Padmaja, G., & Chandra, P. M. (2011).Occupational Stress in Forest Executives. Indian Journal of Psychology and Mental Health, 1(5). ISSN: 973-7286.
- Padmaja, G., & Prasad, V. B. (2011). Towards understanding of women’s trauma in disaster: A psychosocial perspective. In M. Hariharan, G. Padmaja, & M. Padhy, (Eds.), Trauma and pain: Biopsychosocial perspectives (pp169-184). Global vision, New Delhi. ISBN: 978-81-8220-353-2.
- Padmaja, G., Padhy, M., & Madhuri, D. (2010). Comparison of Role Stress in Nurses working in General Hospitals and Mental health Institutions. Social Science International – Interdisciplinary Readings, 26(1). ISSN: 0970-1087.
- Padmaja, G. (2008). Globalization: Contextualizing Social Science Research – Book review. Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, 34(2), 355-356. ISSN:0019-4247
- Padmaja, G., & Padhy, M. (2008). A Study of Leadership Orientation in Schools and Teachers’ Self Efficacy. In N. R. Sharma, A. K. Kalia, A. Yadava, (Eds.), Psychology of Education, (pp. 19-36). New Delhi, Global vision. ISBN: 978-81-8220-212-2.
- Padhy, M., Padmaja, G., & Hariharan, M. (2008). Religion and Rituals as Aid to Psychological Wellbeing. Journal of Indian Health psychology, 2(2). ISSN: 0973-5755
- Padhy, M., &Padmaja, G. (2008). Training of Cognitive Skills of Disadvantaged Children through Play Methods. Journal of Psychological Researches – An International Journal, 52(1), 34-38. ISSN 0022-3972.
- Padmaja, G., & Beena, C. (2007). An Exploratory Study on Goal Setting for Effective Performance of Urban & Rural Students of X class – An Action Programme. In K. Ravichandra, C. Beena, R. Regani, (Eds.), Psychological wellbeing Correlational and Intervention Studies. New Delhi, Global Vision. ISBN: 81-8220-237-X.
- The role of Counselling in students’ development, Edutracks, September, 2002, Vol.2, No.1
- Schools and Human Resource Development, Edutracks, December, 2002, Vol. 2, No.4
- Best paper award for the Symposium titled Cancer care and Concerns (29.01.2022), by the IoE Project team PI & Co-PIs (Dr Padmaja Gadiraju, Dr Punam Singh, Dr Ranjith Kumar Dehury and Dr C.Vanlalhruaii).
- Best paper award to the paper titled Assessment of self-satisfaction and quality of life among adults with reference to their daily life activities presented by Mr K.Devaraju, the Field Investigator in the above project, authored along with the project team (Kadari Devaraju, PadmajaGadiraju, Punam Singh, C. Vanlalhruaii, Ranjit Kumar Dehury, Parthsarathi Dehury, Sangita Behera)
- Certificate of Appreciation from Commissioner of College Education, AP (Erstwhile undivided State)
- Second best paper award in Conference Second Indian Cancer Congress, November 25,2017, presented by co-authors for the paper titled Body image concerns as predictor of psychological problems in cancer patients
- Counseling at Centre for Health Psychology, University of Hyderabad.
- Counseling & Awareness Programmes through media (Print & Electronic):
- Columnist in Eenadu (from2002 onwards till 2020)
- Counseling and awareness programme Etv 2-Sakhi(for more than 8 years)
- Resource person for Help lines and panel discussions in several channels
- Invited Lectures /Soft skills/Resource development programmes in more than 25 Organizations and several professional training and educational Institutions.
Member Board of Studies – Department of Psychology, Osmania University
Member Board of Studies – Clinical Psychology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute
Member-Institutional Ethics Committee, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Hyderabad
Member-Internal Complaints Committee, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Hyderabad
Founder member, Association of Health Psychologists
Text book chapters
- Chapters for B.A. III yr. Abnormal Psychology, paper IV. Telugu Academy,
- Chapters for Text book of Psychology, (General Psychology), Intermediate board, Andhra Pradesh.
- Chapters for Text book of Psychology, (General Psychology), Telugu Academy, Hyderabad
Distance Education Course Material
- Chapters for Dr B.R.Ambedkar University Distance Education Course material, for M.Sc. Psychology Previous, Course-III, Psychopathology.
- Chapters for Dr B.R.Ambedkar University Distance Education Course material, for B.A. Psychology, III year, Course IV, Psychopathology.
- Chapters for University of Hyderabad Distance Education course material for Post Graduate Diploma in Criminal Justice and Forensic Science, CJ&FS413: Society, Culture and Crime, CJ1.2: Human Psychology and Criminal Behaviour
- Chapters for Distance Education material for Osmania University B.A. I,II and III years (English and Telugu Media of instruction)
- Chapters for Distance Education material for Osmania University M.A. I & II years
- Chapters for Dr B.R.Ambedkar University Distance Education Course material, for B.Ed Special Education
- Chapters for course tiled Abnormal Psychology for Dr BRAmbedkar Open University
- Chapters for Skill Enhancement Compulsory Course – Personality Development & Soft Skills for Dr B.R.Ambedkar Open University
- Editor for Text book on Social Psychology for Telugu Academy (State Government)
- Editor for textbook on Health Psychology for Telugu Academy (State Government) (ongoing)
- Editor for distance education course material on Social Psychology for Osmania University Centre for Distance Education(ongoing)
- Editor for Text book on Personality theories and assessment for Telugu Academy (State Government)